Showing posts with label Reds. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Reds. Show all posts

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Klopp warns Sakho over Reds return

http://i2.wp.com/www.truesportsfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/602118db6cb23172554f9d275c7c923515c5e9e8.jpg?fit=640%2C413

London (AFP) – Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has warned Mamadou Sakho he will have a difficult task to regain his place after a troubled few months.

France centre-back Sakho missed the final weeks of Liverpool’s season and then Euro 2016 after being given a provisional 30-day suspension for a failed drugs test in April.

That ban was not extended but Sakho’s problems weren’t over as he was sent home from Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the United States due to his poor attitude.

Klopp told Sakho to go out on loan to show he was prepared to work to win back his place, but the 26-year-old turned down moves to Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Besiktas before the August 31 transfer deadline.

While Klopp insists he still trusts Sakho, the defender’s attempt to rehabilitate his reputation may take some time.

“He couldn’t play football for a long time. It makes sense after a long break you think about how you can get match time and that is difficult here because the other players are fit and hopefully stay fit,” Klopp said on Thursday.

“I spoke to him before the window closed because that is the moment to make decisions and that is what I did.

“Not only with Mama but with all the players I told them all what I thought would be best and now the squad is like it is.

“It is not a problem. He doesn’t have to gain my trust.”

Sakho had impressed Klopp before his difficult end to last season, but with Dejan Lovren, Joel Matip and Ragnar Klavan now ahead of him in the defensive pecking order it will be tough to get back in the team.

“I am not silly enough to forget good performances but in the end we will see what happens,” Klopp said.

“Now it is about making Mama fit – what he isn’t after this long time with suspension and injury – and we will see what happens.

“I have no idea what happens when because it is who plays how, who performs when, our results.

“At the end Mama knows and I know and from my side that is enough.”

The post Klopp warns Sakho over Reds return appeared first on World Soccer Talk.


World Soccer Talk
http://wp.me/p59zQO-8kG
#Klopp, #Over, #Reds, #Return, #Sakho, #Warns - #Soccer

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Report: Blue Jays, Reds discussed Joey Votto trade last season

http://i1.wp.com/www.truesportsfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/joey-votto.jpg?fit=600%2C370

joey-votto

Former NL MVP Joey Votto has been a Cincinnati Red for his entire 10-season MLB career. But was he actually close to becoming a Toronto Blue Jay last season?

According to a report by Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star on Monday, the Blue Jays and the Reds “were beginning serious discussions” at last year’s trade deadline about a Votto trade. However, talks were said to have “never gained momentum” as Toronto pursued (and pulled off) deals for Troy Tulowitzki and David Price instead.

The 32-year-old Votto was actually born in Toronto and grew up in Etobicoke, an administrative district within the Toronto metropolitan area. Griffin also notes that Votto is under contract through 2023 and is still owed approximately $ 182 million guaranteed with a $ 7 million buyout for 2024, thanks to a 10-year, $ 225 million extension he signed with the Reds in 2012.

The Blue Jays didn’t (and still don’t) have many lefty bats outside of Michael Saunders and the switch-hitting Justin Smoak. With the Reds seemingly tearing down their core by trading away the likes of Jay Bruce, Aroldis Chapman, and Todd Frazier in just the last eight months alone, it wouldn’t be a shock to see the two sides pick Votto talks up again some time in the future. The four-time All-Star has already looked the part in the past after all.

H/T theScore


Baseball – Larry Brown Sports
http://wp.me/p59zQO-6kC
#Blue, #Discussed, #Jays, #Joey, #Last, #Reds, #Report, #Season, #Trade, #Votto - #Baseball

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Mets reportedly engaged in trade talks with Reds for Jay Bruce

http://i0.wp.com/www.truesportsfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/jay-bruce-cincinnati-reds-2.jpg?fit=600%2C460

jay-bruce-cincinnati-reds

The New York Mets are apparently trying to assemble a star-studded cast of characters in their outfield.

According to a report by Mark Sheldon of MLB.com on Saturday, the Mets are “very involved” in a pursuit of Reds right fielder Jay Bruce, though no trade appears to be imminent.

The three-time All-Star appears to have at least a fifth of the league on his tail this trade season, but the Mets definitely look like one of the more intriguing destinations. Pairing Bruce in right with Yoenis Cespedes in left and the Curtis Granderson-Michael Conforto duo in center would give the reigning National League champs arguably the deepest outfield squadron in all of baseball.

Bruce, 29, is also comfortable hitting cleanup and would give a big-time boost to the Mets provided that they can piece together the right package for him.

Image Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports

H/T Rotoworld


Baseball – Larry Brown Sports
http://po.st/eOrfJT
#Bruce, #Engaged, #Mets, #Reds, #Reportedly, #Talks, #Trade - #Baseball